Date of death: 12/21/2022
Saint Meinrad Class: O 1954
Father John E. Hartzer (Jack) was born in Indianapolis, Indiana on May 7, 1929. Father Jack’s parents were Edward J. Hartzer from South bend Indiana, and mother, Hilda (Marbaugh) from Monterrey, Indiana. Father Jack Hartzer was preceded in death by his parents, his sister Madelyn Miller, brother Jim Hartzer and nephew Dick Miller. Father Jack is survived by his nieces Mary Anne O’ Bryan Morrissey (Michael), his nephew Michael Miller (Lois), Paula Hartzer, Chris Hartzer (Hong Na), Hether Driggers (Guy) and Stacey Blansette (Stephen), numerous great and great-great nieces and nephews and his former parishioners who are dear to his heart.
Jack attended Cathedral high school while growing up on Alabama Street in Indianapolis. One of his first jobs was as a paper carrier in his youth with his younger brother Jim, and later as a lifeguard at the Fallcreek Parkway pool. Father Jack attended Saint Meinrad Archabbey, graduating with a Bachelor’s in Philosophy (B.A.) in 1950. He was ordained a Catholic priest on May 3, 1954. He was a Pastor, Associate-Pastor, or an Assistant Pastor at seven Indiana Catholic parishes, starting in Indianapolis at Holy Trinity in 1954. Father was assigned to St. Gabriel’s in Connersville in 1963, moving on to St. Christopher’s in 1969. For three years, he served as chaplain for the 500 Mile Races during May while pastoring at St. Christopher’s. He was assigned to St. Mark the Evangelist in 1972, and in 1981 he was assigned to Church of the Holy Family in Richmond, Indiana. Father Jack’s final move was to St. Lawrence in Lawrenceburg Indiana in 1993, he retired there in 2004.
Father Jack enjoyed helping others, leading mass, prayer, working out, swimming, travel, and the Indy 500. He also very much enjoyed spending time with and visiting with his family, and with his larger family born of love and friendship through his work as a minister of God for 50 years. The family is forever grateful for the love and support of Father Jack by the St. Lawrence Parish in Lawrenceburg, IN.